Sunday, June 10, 2012

Easiest Maxi Dress Ever


     I do a lot of sewing on a weekly basis, keeping up with my Etsy shop, and selling locally. When you don't sew with patterns, you have to do a lot of thinking, and a lot of math. Sometimes, I just need to give my brain a break, and do a "mindless" project, just for fun. This maxi dress, was my "just for fun" project this last weekend. It took no more than thirty minutes to do. I've worn it twice since making it, it's that comfortable.
     This dress is just a super long tank top, with two slits up the sides. You can trace a tank you have, or just draft one real quick for the top. I just use my french curve ruler, and make my cut outs based on that. I lay out the fabric, folded in half, and then in half again. The stretch is going width wise.


      I like to cut my front neck 3 inches lower than the back.


     While it is folded, I also mark with chalk where I want the slits to start.


     Slits allow you to a straight dress, and still have plenty of walking ease. I don't have a picture, but you should also curve in the top sides just a bit. This helps it have some shape, just as your body does. Sew the shoulder seams and side seams. Hem all the openings, and that's it!


      It's been raining buckets, so the jacket and boots were much needed to slog through the swamp in my yard to get to church. Happy Monday!

Ephesians 4:32   And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. 

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome!I love it!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! You have been talking about that ruler alot lately maybe I need to go shopping :) And it is raining buckets here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project! It does look super comfy. I'm always looking for easy beginner sewing projects to share. If you're looking for another place to link up your creative projects, head on over to Etcetorize. Would love to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great!! I have to try it..thanks for sharing.

    Visiting from Brassy Apple,
    Nikell

    ReplyDelete